Excite Them With Healthy Halloween Treats!
If you are having your favorite nieces or nephews over for a pre-Halloween celebration, this is the perfect treat to make with them.
This recipe is not only delicious and easy to make, but it is also loaded with omega three fatty acids from the flax seeds and coconut oil, which will boost their moods, learning abilities, and concentration—and make you look like a rock star auntie.
Additionally, this is a great recipe to get kids involved in the kitchen. They can mush the crumple combination with their hands, and since there are no eggs, they can safely lick their fingers.
When kids help prepare a dish, they are usually more excited about eating it; and if you do not have apples on hand, what can be more fun than going apple picking or going to the farmers market and tasting the different types of apples?
Creepy Apple Crumble
Makes 15 snack servings
6 apples, washed, cored, diced
½ cup apple juice
½ cup maple syrup
2 cups rolled oats
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 tablespoon butter/coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon flax seeds
1/3 cup raisins
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Lightly oil the bottom of baking pan with coconut oil.
3. Spread apples evenly in the pan and add apple juice.
4. In a bowl, combine maple syrup, rolled oats, flax seeds, raisins, vanilla, and cinnamon.
5. Fold in softened butter/coconut oil until combined. There should be no large chunks.
6. Press dry ingredients on top of the apple mixture.
7. Cook uncovered for 35-40 minutes.
Photo: Courtesy of Dawn Lerman
Published: October 29, 2012