Spring is upon us! Your nieces and nephews are tired of being indoors, drinking hot cocoa, and bundling up on millions of layers. The days are longer, the sun is shining brighter, there’s a hint of flowers in the air… it’s spring! The vernal equinox is a wonderful time to plan some spring fun with your niece or nephew. If you want to mark the entrance of spring this year, either with a spring party or a spring birthday party, here are some resources and ideas to enjoy:
1. Plant flowers together. Head out to the local garden center, and let your nieces and nephews pick out the flower bulbs they would like to plant (make sure you have mom’s permission!). Have a fun day of gardening, and then they can not only plant the bulbs, but water them throughout spring and watch them grow!
2. Give your nieces and nephews a watercolor set and white construction paper, and have them paint their own spring masterpieces to hang up around their house and yours.
3. Enjoy bird watching! Birds are now migrating north so it is the perfect time to head out to an open field, or local park, and watch them. Of course, since it’s spring, there are many opportunities to feed ducks, watch scampering squirrels, and take in the natural world coming to life. This makes for a great day of nature with Auntie.
4. When a rainy day pops up, pull on your galoshes and go splash in the puddles with your niece or nephew. Be a kid again, and make it fun!
5. Enjoy playing Leap Frog.
6. Fly kites!
7. Play Frisbee. To make it even more interesting, play Frisbee golf. Hang buckets from trees, and have the players toss the Frisbee into the buckets for points.
8. Purchase small terra cotta plant holders for your niece or nephew to decorate with tempera paint. They can paint bugs, butterflies, or anything else they like!
Have a great time celebrating spring with your nieces and nephews this year. It will be a bloomin’ good time!
Published: April 10, 2012